Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress appeals once again to CAS

    09/22/10

    WTBA News

    WTBALogo_0.jpgOn Sept. 20th, the World Tenpin Bowling Association has informed all WTBA member federations that the Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against WTBA Presidium decision, to withdraw WWC 2011 from Malaysia.

    The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) is an international arbitration body set up to settle disputes related to sport. Its headquarters are in Lausanne; Switzerland.

    P.S. Nathan 1.jpgAs reported on May 11th, the WTBA Presidium has withdrawn the award of the Women's World Championships 2011 to Malaysia. The reason to withdraw the award of WWC 2011 was that it was impossible to agree on a written contract with MTBC.

    According to our information 76-year-old MTBC president Ponkuchamy Satkuna Nathan (pictured right) had a problem with the standard contract of the WTBA. One line says that "disputes will be solved by the WTBA Presidium". Nathan wanted to get this changed into "FIQ Presidium". WTBA argued that FIQ has nothing to do with its World Championships. When Nathan did not sign the contract the WTBA Presidium had no other chance than to take the Championships away from Malaysia.

    Hong Kong, Vienna (Austria) and Bangkok (Thailand) applied to host the event and the WTBA Presidium voted for Hong Kong.

    2010MWCWTBAPresidentKevinDornberger.jpgSince Nathan was forced to step down as WTBA President during the 2003 WTBA Congress in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, it seems as if he's on a crusade against Bowling's governing bodies such as the Federation Internationale des Quilleurs (FIQ), the World Tenpin Bowling Association (WTBA) and the Asian Bowling Federation (ABF).

    It has costs the organizations as well as the Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress (MTBC) ten thousands of Dollars not to mention the damage Tenpin Bowling's reputation and the quest to become an Olympic Sport has suffered.

    Nathan obviously doesn't care, but WTBA President Kevin Dornberger (pictured left) does. "It is unfortunate that both WTBA and MTBC will be spending money on a legal process that WTBA believes could have been avoided." Dornberger told Bowlingdigital.com.

    "The issue boiled down to MTBC demanding several changes to a championships contract that had been created during the time of my predecessor, Heikki Sarso (Nathan's successor as WTBA President whom he has sued in 2005), and had been signed without complaint by all of the following previous hosting federations: Denmark, Korea, Mexico, Thailand, United States (twice), Finland and Germany (twice).

    According to our information there were no issues resulting from the contract, or its form, in any previous hosting situation. However, the WTBA Presidium tried to approach MTBC's demands and even offered Nathan to talk about the issue.

    "WTBA agreed to revise several provisions to satisfy MTBC, but agreement could not be reached on one critical provision," Dornberger stated. "MTBC was invited to a WTBA Presidium meeting in Barcelona to resolve the dispute over that provision, but declined to attend."

    The WTBA Presidium hopes there will be a final decision of CAS very soon that all preparations for Hong Kong WWC 2011 can continue.

    Right now, the 2011 Women's World Championships are scheduled for Sept. 3-12, 2011 at Hong Kong Bowling City in Hong Kong, China.

     


    Related Articles


    Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress pays RM50,000 fine to avoid withdrawal of tournament sanctioning and membership suspension
    Issue between Emirates Bowling Federation and Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress still ongoing
    Asian Bowling Federation suspends all international tournaments in Malaysia
    Court of Arbitration for Sports makes decision on Nathan claim
    Former WTBA President P.S. Nathan sues the Federation Internationale des Quilleurs (FIQ)