Sixteen players remain in the winners bracket at the Raising Cane’s River Center in Baton Rouge, Louisianna, after Sunday’s opening rounds of match play in the double-elimination bracket. Bracket matches consist of three games, with total pinfall determining who advances.
The bracket started with the top 63 competitors after qualifying, along with defending champion Bernice Lim of Singapore, and matches will continue through Monday until the five stepladder finalists are determined. CBS Sports Network will air the finals Tuesday at 10 p.m. Eastern, and the winner will take home the top prize of $20,000.
Restrepo’s roller coaster ride started Saturday evening while finishing her qualifying block. The Colombian native (pictured above) was in eighth place after the first two rounds but struggled with her timing during the final five games.
After rolling a 131 in Game 4, Restrepo found herself in jeopardy of missing the cut as she continued to struggle with her timing in the final game. She was able to regroup and throw two strikes in her final frame, along with a nine-count on her fill ball, to tie Jennifer King (right) of Irmo, South Carolina, for the final two spots in the bracket.
“I nearly bowled myself out of this tournament,” said Restrepo, a two-time Professional Women’s Bowling Association Tour champion.
“I don’t know how I came through on those last three shots, since I really had nothing. I stepped up on the approach, cleared my mind and did everything I could. If it was meant to be, I was going to find a way, and I did.”
Restrepo continued strong to start her next match against Brittany Smith of Johnston, Iowa, rolling a 278 game to take an 84-pin lead after the first game. But, the momentum quickly swung in the opposite direction as Smith rolled 258, and Restrepo lost her reaction on the way to a 168 effort, falling behind in the match.
Restrepo made a ball change and trusted in her ability in the final game, delivering a key double late in the match to sneak past Smith, 650-640.
“I went from having great ball reaction to shooting 160,” said Restrepo, who advanced to the stepladder finals of the 2017 QubicaAMF PWBA Sonoma County Open and PWBA Storm Sacramento Open, which will be taped Tuesday at the River Center and air on CBS Sports Network in June.
“I felt that my shots weren’t that bad, but the lanes drastically changed for me. I made a ball change, trusted my instincts and did what I needed to do in those finals shots. I’ve bowled a lot of games in the past four weeks, and having the chance to rest and relax tonight means a lot.”
Restrepo will face Singapore’s Shayna Ng (right) in the third round Monday, starting at 9 a.m. Eastern. Restrepo and Ng are joined in the winners bracket by three past Queens champions – USBC Hall of Famer Liz Johnson of Deerfield, Ill. (2009 and 2015), Latvia’s Diana Zavjalova (below left; 2013) and Shannon Pluhowsky of Dayton, Ohio (2006).
Defending champion Bernice Lim of Singapore lost both of her matches Sunday and was eliminated. She finished in a tie for 49th place. Japan’s Katsuko Sugimoto was the last player to successfully defend a Queens title, winning in 1981 and 1982.
Qualifying at the River Center consisted of 15 games over three days to determine the 63 players who would join Lim in the double-elimination bracket.
All rounds of competition leading up to the stepladder finals will be broadcast on Xtra Frame, the exclusive online bowling channel for the Professional Bowlers Association. For subscription and schedule information click here.
For more information on the USBC Queens, click here.
ISC champion Sydney Brummett returns to Baton Rouge for 2017 USBC Queens
Lindsay Boomershine continues strong at 2017 USBC Queens
Lindsay Boomershine paces 162-player field at 2017 USBC Queens
2017 PWBA Tour Schedule
Double elimination, three-game matches decided by total pinfall. Winners remain in winners bracket. Losers move to elimination bracket
(64) Jennifer King, Irmo, S.C., def. (1) Lindsay Boomershine, Perry, Utah, 721-652
(32) Karen Boyd, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., def. (33) Hollyann Johansen, Wichita, Kan., 647-524
(17) Melissa Van Dyke, Parma, Ohio, def. (48) Summer Jasmin, Beckley, W.Va., 660-591
(16) Danielle McEwan, Stony Point, N.Y., def. (49) Jazreel Tan, Singapore, 744-666
(9) Jamie Martin, Omaha, Neb., def. (56) Brooke Bower, Camp Hill, Pa., 616-594
(24) Jodi Woessner, Oregon, Ohio, def. (41) Ashly Galante, Palm Harbor, Fla., 671-496
(25) Diandra Asbaty, Chicago, def. (40) Taylor Bulthuis, Coral Springs, Fla., 672-560
(57) Marissa Thomas, Louisville, Ky., def. (8) Tish Johnson, Colorado Springs, Colo., 654-590
(5) Liz Kuhlkin, Schenectady, N.Y., def. (60) Emily Peterson, West Fargo, N.D., 593-588
(37) Jessica Mellott, Lauderhill, Fla., def. (28) Ashley Rucker, Bartlesville, Okla., 615-556
(44) Shannon Sellens, Copiague, N.Y., def. (21) Anita Arnett, Richmond, Texas, 705-590
(12) Liz Johnson, Deerfield, Ill., def. (53) Verity Crawley, England, 756-711
(52) Clara Guerrero, Pflugerville, Texas, def. (13) Sydney Brummett, Fort Wayne, Ind., 638-608
(20) Shannon O’Keefe, O’Fallon, Ill., def. (45) Danielle Van der Meer, Washington, Ill., 681-599
(29) Stephanie Schwartz, Racine, Wis., def. (36) Jasmine Snell, Papillion, Neb., 637-617
(4) Missy Parkin, Laguna Hill, Calif., def. (61) Aumi Guerra, Dominican Republic, 651-635
(3) Josie Earnest-Barnes, Nashville, Tenn., def. (62) Missy Klug, The Villages, Fla., 603-563
(35) Kristina Szczerbinski, North Tonawanda, N.Y., def. (30) Daphne Tan, Singapore, 635-606
(19) Daria Kovalova, Wichita, Kan., def. (46) Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, Keller, Texas, 708-616
(51) Daria Pajak, Poland, def. (14) Joey Yeo, Singapore, 698-602
(54) Diana Zavjalova, Latvia, def. (11) Katie Zwiefelhofer, Racine, Wis., 633-592
(43) Jackie Carbonetto, Clarksville, Tenn., def. (22) Karen Marcano, Venezuela, 601-535
(27) Amanda Fry, Antelope, Calif., def. (38) Sandra Gongora, Mexico, 690-651
(59) Nicole Bower, Camp Hill, Pa., def. (6) Cherie Tan, Singapore, 637-619
(7) Shannon Pluhowsky, Dayton, Ohio, def. (58) New Hui Fen, Singapore, 729-559
(26) Julia Bond, Aurora, Ill., def. (39) Erin McCarthy, Omaha, Neb., 675-622
(42) Elysia Current, Ephrata, Pa., def. (23) Bernice Lim, Singapore, 626-586
(10) Juliana Franco, Colombia, def. (55) Birgit Pöppler, Germany, 669-594
(50) Amanda Greene, Romney, W.Va., def. (15) Leanne Hulsenberg, Pleasant View, Utah, 623-560
(18) Shayna Ng, Singapore, def. (47) Kayla Johnson, Washington, Ill., 586-581
(34) Brittany Smith, Johnston, Iowa, def. (31) Katelyn Simpson, Emmett, Idaho, 683-627
(63) Rocio Restrepo, Louisville, Ohio, def. (2) Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., 683-659
Winners remain in winners bracket. Losers move to elimination bracket.
King def. Boyd, 601-561
McEwan def. Van Dyke, 666-620
Martin def. Woessner, 719-644
Thomas def. Asbaty, 667-622
Kuhlkin def. Mellott, 606-591
L. Johnson def. Sellens, 692-589
O’Keefe def. Guerrero, 716-621
Schwartz def. Parkin, 676-621
Earnest-Barnes def. Szczerbinski, 661-589
Kovalova def. Pajak, 747-597
Zavjalova def. Carbonetto, 696-609
Fry def. N. Bower, 607-550
Pluhowsky def. Bond, 702-645
Franco def. Current, 684-542
Ng def. Greene, 624-605
Restrepo def. Smith, 650-640
Losers eliminated, earn $1,200
Boomershine def. Johansen, 646-576
T. Johnson def. Bulthuis, 672-570
J. Tan def. Jasmin, 649-590
B. Bower def. Galante, 637-538
Peterson def. Rucker, 652-574
Guerra def. Snell, 641-609
Crawley def. Arnett, 658-631
Brummett def. Van der Meer, 695-571
D. Tan def. Klug, 684-625
C. Tan def. Gongora, 718-625
Dorin-Ballard def. Yeo, 570-531
Marcano def. Zwiefelhofer, 672-599
New def. McCarthy, 668-596
Kulick def. Simpson, 621-603
Pöppler def. Lim, 642-594
Hulsenberg def. K. Johnson, 586-530
Losers eliminated, earn $1,350
Pajak def. Boomershine, 711-601
T. Johnson def. Carbonetto, 738-591
J. Tan def. Szczerbinski, 662-594
N. Bower def. B. Bower, 675-569
Current def. Peterson, 638-530
Guerra def. Greene, 637-616
Crawley def. Bond, 619-595
Smith def. Brummett, 607-541
Van Dyke def. D. Tan, 643-609
C. Tan def. Woessner, 725-663
Boyd def. Dorin-Ballard, 763-650
Marcano def. Asbaty, 661-648
New def. Sellens, 595-567
Guerrero def. Kulick, 656-646
Mellott def. Poppler, 584-580
Parkin def. Hulsenberg, 672-661
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.