For Jaros, losing "Lowest Game on TV" record is bittersweet

    02/15/11

    2011 PBA Spare Shots #5

    201011PBASteveJaros.jpg201011PBA07TomDaugherty2.jpgWhile Tom Daugherty (pictured left) was struggling to shoot 100 during his PBA Tournament of Champions semifinal match against Mika Koivuniemi on ABC on Jan. 22, Steve Jaros (right) was watching the telecast with interest at a friend's home in Las Vegas.

    "It's kinda weird," the Yorkville, Ill., resident said. "From the fifth frame on, I don't remember ever getting that many text messages."

    The reason: Jaros was the holder of the PBA record for lowest game ever on national television, a 129 he bowled in losing to Mike Edwards' 201 in the first match of the 1992 Brunswick Memorial World Open finals in Lake Zurich, Ill., and he was in danger of losing his record.

    "Some people thought I'd be relieved, but actually, I had both ends of the record – the lowest and highest games bowled on TV - so I was actually a little disappointed. But what are you going to do?"

    Jaros was the 13th player in PBA history to bowl a nationally-televised 300 when he got his share of the "highest game on TV" record in Chattanooga, Tenn., in 1999.

    Record or not, Jaros understood better than anyone else what Daugherty was going through.

    "I know first-hand how a game like that can go," the seven-time PBA Tour titlist said. "You get on a run when nothing goes right. The thing is, when I had my game, I was on a 140 pace and I wasn't out of the match. I was trying to figure out how to throw a double and get back in it. But Tom was so far down by the fifth frame, there was no way for him.

    "Those games on TV go by pretty fast anyway," Jaros continued. "Tom was a good sport about it. Mika was working on a 300 and Tom was just trying to get out of his way. I thought he did a really good job with it."

     


    ESPN the Magazine documents PBA spare-shooting success on TV


    ESPN the Magazine completed more than three months of research into the spare-shooting success of Professional Bowlers Association players on national television in its Feb. 7 issue with a revealing "And Another Thing" feature.

    ESPN the Magazine's researchers reviewed every frame of every nationally-televised match from the 2005-06 season through the 2009-10 season, and came up with the following tidbits (and more):

    • Players threw strikes on 4,374 of 7,155 first-ball attempts (a 61.13% success rate), meaning they also had to make 2,781 spare attempts.
    • While there was no distinction between attempts by right- or left-handed players, the most common spare was the 10 pin. PBA players converted the 10 pin on 95.9% of 710 attempts. Players who shot at the 7 pin were successful on 95.5% of 333 tries.
    • The highest conversion rate for all spares was 98.9% for 88 attempts to convert the 9 pin.
    • The lowest conversion rate was zero for 53 shots at 7-10 splits. No one has converted a 7-10 on a PBA telecast since Jess Stayrook did it in Tucson, Ariz., in 1991. Mark Roth (Alameda, Calif., 1980) and John Mazza (Sunrise, Fla., 1991) are the only others who have ever converted the 7-10 on a PBA telecast.
    • The second-lowest success rate was 3.3% on "Big Four" splits. When Walter Ray Williams Jr. converted the 4-6-7-10 in Norcross, Ga., in 2005, he not only was the only player among 30 who shot at the split during the magazine's study period, but the only person in PBA television history to convert it.
    • The most surprising statistic was the conversion rate for "baby splits," which has been less than a 50/50 proposition. The 3-10 was converted only 48.6% of the time (17 of 35 attempts).
    • The magazine's study listed the 20 most common spare attempts. Long-time PBA followers will note that the 5 pin, 8-10 and 5-7 splits no longer rank among the most common spares in PBA competition.

     


    Learn gets Commissioner's Exemption for Plastic Ball Championship


    USBCCoachBobLearn.jpg2009PBAS07TomBaker2.jpgFive-time PBA Tour champion Bob Learn Jr. (pictured left) of Macomb, Mich., will join Tom Baker (right) of King, N.C.; Johnny Petraglia of Jackson, N.J., and defending champion Brian Ziesig of Levittown, N.Y., as PBA Commissioner's exempt players for the Mark Roth Plastic Ball Championship March 2-6 at AMF Thruway Lanes in Cheektowaga, N.Y.

    Learn is a native of Erie, Pa., and spent most of his bowling career in the area near Buffalo. Baker, a PBA Hall of Famer and four-time PBA Senior Tour Player of the Year, is a Buffalo native.

    Bowling fans also are reminded that a series of special-edition bowling balls from OnTheBallBowling.com are available online and will help support bowling's officials charities through The Bowling Foundation.

    201011PBA11MarkRothPBCBowlingBalls.jpgThe special balls feature the YES Foundation with spokesman Bill O'Neill, Bowl for the Cure with spokeswoman Kelly Kulick, BVL with spokesman Johnny Petraglia, the International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame with spokesman Parker Bohn III, The Bowling Foundation with spokesman Jason Belmonte, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation with spokesman Chris Barnes, and a seventh Mark Roth Plastic Ball Championships competition ball featuring logos of all of the participating charities.

    For more information on how to order a ball, visit pba.com or OnTheBallBowling.com.

     


    Duke increases "Strikes for Sy" total to 632 after three events


    2011CPINormDuke.jpgPBA Hall of Famer Norm Duke (pictured) has been throwing "Strikes for Sy" since the PBA Tournament of Champions in an effort to raise money in support of Sy Harger, a four-year-old who lives near Duke's home in Clermont, Fla., who suffers from Eosinophilic Esophagitis, a rare medical condition which prevents him from eating solid foods.

    Duke launched the "Strikes for Sy" campaign, asking people to pledge a specific amount for each strike Duke rolls for the rest of the season, projecting he would expect to throw between 700 and 1,100 which would convert to between $7 and $11 based upon a penny per strike. For three tournaments, including the Bayer USBC Masters, Duke has rolled a total of 632 strikes.

    To sign up in support of Duke's "Strikes for Sy" benefit, visit http://www.strikesforsy.com/. And to keep track of Duke's strikes, go to nextlevelbowling.com.

     


    XTRA Frame viewers witnessed Steelsmith's USBC Masters heartbreak


    Subscribers to pba.com's exclusive Xtra Frame video streaming service were once again treated to some of the most exciting moments in the Bayer USBC Masters, including an historic bid by Rick Steelsmith of Wichita, Kan., to make it back to the TV finals – 24 years after winning the Masters as an amateur.

    Needing a double in the 10th frame to defeat Mike DeVaney for a spot on the show, Xtra Frame viewers watch Steelsmith get the first strike before leaving a ringing 10 pin on his second to lose the match, 594-591.

     

     


    Xtra Frame will continue to provide PBA fans with an exclusive live insiders' look at PBA Tour competition during the U.S. Open, Mark Roth Plastic Ball Championship and Dick Weber PBA Playoffs. To subscribe, visit pba.com and click on the Xtra Frame logo.

     


    PBA members out-average non-pros in Masters qualifying


    USBCMasters_small.jpgThe Bayer USBC Masters is an annual "yardstick event" for non-professionals, to find out how they compare to PBA members. During the 2011 Masters at the National Bowling Stadium, the difference between PBA players and non-pros was apparent: 144 PBA members as a group averaged 203.37 for 10 qualifying games while 112 amateurs averaged 188.83.

    Of the PBA members who bowled, 47 were Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour exempt players who averaged 213.009 for the first 10 games. Of the 64 players who advanced to the double-elimination match play finals, 54 were PBA members and 10 were non-pros.

     


    Miller is now senior-eligible; D'Entremont, Monacelli are closing in


    201011PBA07MikeMiller.jpgThree-time PBA Tour champion Mike Miller (pictured left) of Albuquerque, N.M., celebrated his 50th birthday during the PBA Tournament of Champions at Red Rock Lanes in Las Vegas in January, headlining a short list of PBA Tour champions who are on the brink of PBA Senior Tour eligibility for the 2011 season.

    201011PBADaveDEntremont.jpgMiller made headlines with his "thumbless" release in winning the 1991 PBA National Championship after nearly 20 years of bowling with his thumb in the ball, and went on to win two additional titles. He also was the 14th player in PBA history to bowl a nationally-televised 300 game.

    Also becoming Senior Tour-eligible during the 2011 season, which begins with the PBA Senior Don Carter Open at Carter Family Bowl in Winter Garden, Fla., April 17-21, are two other established PBA Tour stars. Dave D'Entremont of Middleburg Heights, Ohio, owner of six PBA Tour titles including the 1995 Brunswick World Tournament of Champions crown, turns 50 on June 15 – three days after the start of the Senior U.S. Open, but in time for the final six PBA Senior Tour events of the season.

    201011PBA02AmletoMonacelli2.jpgPBA Hall of Famer Amleto Monacelli (left) of Venezuela hits the 50 milestone on Aug. 27 – the starting date of the final Senior Tour event of the season (Senior Dayton Classic in Kettering, Ohio).

    Before the calendar year ends, 10-time PBA Tour titlist Bryan Goebel of Shawnee, Kan., and journeyman Mike Edwards of Tulsa, Okla., will turn 50 as well. Goebel's birthday is Oct. 15; Edwards' is Dec. 14. Both will be eligible when the 2012 PBA Senior Tour season gets underway.

     


    Related Articles


    Feb. 4, 2011 - 2011 PBA Spare Shots #4
    Jan. 19, 2011 - 2011 PBA Spare Shots #3
    Jan. 13, 2011 - 2011 PBA Spare Shots #2
    Jan. 7, 2011 - 2011 PBA Spare Shots #1