At the age of 21 Svensson (right) has now won eight European Bowling Tour titles along with five Professional Bowlers Association titles, including a victory in the PBA signature event, the Tournament of Champions earlier this year. Pictured above are thr top 3 in the 2016 Norwegian Open. From left to right, Mikael Ross (2nd), champion Jesper Svensson and Ida Andersson (3rd), all of Sweden
By virtue of finishing qualifying in the top 8, Svensson bypassed the semi-final and the first three rounds of the finals. He averaged 240 to lead the top 8 players of round 4 in the fifth and last round, where Svensson averaged 233 to widen his lead from 31 to 55 pins and to cruise to the title, worth 40.000 Norwegian Kronor or more 4.430 Euro.
Svensson became the fifth player in the history of the European Bowling Tour and the second this season who has won three EBT titles in a single season. With his victory Svensson will overtake the other three-time champion this season, Richard Teece of England, by four points to regain the lead in the 2016 EBT men’s point ranking.
The final round mirrored the qualifying as seven Swedes and the best Norwegian bowler, Frederik Tjernes, did battle.
Mikael Roos of Sweden improved on a third-place finish in 2012 to finish in second place with 1343. He was followed by Ida Andersson (left) in third place, who beat out Nina Flack (right) for the top-ranked woman by 12 pins, 1324 to 1312.
Tjernes and Daniel Fransson tied at 1280. The Norwegian finished fifth as he had the lowest game in the last round and therefore the higher two-game series, which broke the tie.
Qualifying leader Anton Persson finished seventh with 1277 with Isabelle Hultin in eighth place with 1244.
The Norwegian Open 2016 by Brunswick was the 15th and penultimate stop of the 2016 European Bowling Tour and the last of six EBT “Satellite” tournaments this season. The tournament ran from Oct. 7-16 at Veitvet Bowling Center, a 26-laner in Norway’s capital city of Oslo.
The NO offered total prize fund of 239.000 Norwegian Kronor (approx. 26.466 Euro) with 40.000 NOK (approx. 4.430 Euro) going to the winner and a last-to-cash payout of 1.000 Kronor or 111 Euro for 60th place.
As the event clashed with the 52nd QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup in Shanghai, China, there was no onsite coverage of the Norwegian Open this year.
Qualifying of the Norwegian Open started on Friday, Oct. 7 and concluded Saturday, Oct. 15 with the final Squad 23. Women received 8 pins handicap each game (maximum is 300), an equality handicap provided to women in all EBT events. Top 3 women after qualifying, Isabelle Hultin, Ida Andersson and Nina Flack, all Sweden, received 5.000 NOK, 3.000 NOK and 2.000 NOK bonuses, respectively.
Total 60 players advanced to the finals on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 15 & 16. Top 8 qualifiers were seeded in Round 4, qualifiers 9-16 went to Round 3, qualifiers 17-24 started in Round 2 and qualifiers 25-28 began in Round 1.
The other 32 finalists advanced to Saturday’s semifinal round and bowled six games scratch with the top 12 advancing to Final Round 1.
The remaining forty players determined the champion in five three-game rounds (rounds 1-4 starting from scratch). The field was trimmed to 32, 24, 16, and then eight players who bowled a final three-game block with the pinfall from Round 4 being carried forward.
The player with the highest six-game total earned the title, the 40.000 NOK top prize and 50 EBT ranking points (men and women in separate rankings).
For the complete tournament information, click here.
The 2016 European Bowling Tour currently consists of 16 tournaments in 11 countries featuring three “Platinum” events, three “Gold”, four “Silver” and six “Satellite” events. All tournaments together offer total prize fund of roughly 850.000 Euro.
The top 50 men and the top 50 women in each event receive ranking points. Those points will be tabulated throughout the season to determine the top 12 men and top 12 women, who will be eligible to compete in the 10th EBT Masters May 29, 2017, at Lovvang Bowling Center in Aalborg, Denmark.
The 2016 Tour will conclude with the Qatar Bowling Open, an EBT “Platinum” event, which will be held at Qatar Bowling Center in Doha from Dec. 10-16, 2016.
Defending champion Jimmy Mortensen advances to the finals
Filip Wilhelmsson adds his name to the leaderboard in Oslo
No changes to Norwegian Open qualifying standings on Wednesday
Swedes dominate qualifying as Norwegian Open nears halfway point
No changes atop the leaderboard at Norwegian Open on Monday
Swedish bowlers take control of the leaderboard in Norwegian Open
Swedes Persson, Andersson raise the bar in Norwegian Open
Øyvind Harang takes early lead in Norwegian Open 2016 by Brunswick
Tournament Preview – Norwegian Open 2016 by Brunswick
Jimmy Mortensen wins his first EBT title in Norwegian Open 2015
2016 EBT Point Rankings by Bowlingdigital – Men and Women
2016 European Bowling Tour Schedule, Champions and Money-breakdown
Players with position, country, 6-game total, including handicap, and earnings (in Norwegian Kronor)
1. Jesper Svensson, Sweden, 40.000 NOK
2. Mikael Roos, Sweden, 20.000 NOK
3. Ida Andersson, Sweden, 15.000 NOK
4. Nina Flack, Sweden, 10.000 NOK
5. Fredrik Tjernes, Norway, 8.000 NOK
6. Daniel Fransson, Sweden, 7.000 NOK
7. Anton Persson, Sweden, 6.000 NOK
8. Isabelle Hultin, Sweden, 5.000 NOK
9. Robert Lindberg, Sweden, 4.000 NOK
10. Arnar David Jonsson, Iceland, 4.000 NOK
11. Jimmy Mortensen, Denmark, 4.000 NOK
12. Kenneth Haukås, Norway, 4.000 NOK
13. Filip Wilhelmsson, Sweden, 4.000 NOK
14. Pontus Andersson, Sweden, 4.000 NOK
15. Benjamin Jonsson, Sweden, 4.000 NOK
16. Markus Jansson, Sweden, 4.000 NOK
17. Åse Jacobsen, Norway, 3.000 NOK
18. Kristian Persson, Sweden, 3.000 NOK
19. Björn Lindqvist, Sweden, 3.000 NOK
20. Alfred Berggren, Sweden, 3.000 NOK
21. Arvid Espen, Norway, 3.000 NOK
22. Glenn Morten Pedersen, Norway, 3.000 NOK
23. Emil Ågren, Sweden, 3.000 NOK
24. Mattias Jansson, Sweden, 3.000 NOK
25. Jon Ingi Ragnarsson, Norway, 2.500 NOK
26. Thor Morten Bjørge, Norway, 2.500 NOK
27. Anton Ahlgren, Sweden, 2.500 NOK
28. Andreas Skoglund, Norway, 2.500 NOK
29. Grace Kristiansen, Norway, 2.500 NOK
30. Alexander Beck, Norway, 2.500 NOK
31. Jonas Dammen, Norway, 2.500 NOK
32. Alida Molander, Sweden, 2.500 NOK
33. Peter Ljung, Sweden, 2.000 NOK
34. Mattias Nilsson, Sweden, 2.000 NOK
35. Rune Feirud, Norway, 2.000 NOK
36. James Gruffman, Sweden, 2.000 NOK
37. Øyvind Harang, Norway, 2.000 NOK
38. Adrian Kindervaag, Norway, 2.000 NOK
39. Mette Hansen, Norway, 2.000 NOK
40. Mads Sandbækken, Norway, 2.000 NOK
41. Christopher Lüttke, Sweden, 1.500 NOK
42. Erland Lund, Norway, 1.500 NOK
43. Kenneth Hermansen, Norway, 1.500 NOK
44. Jens Mathiesen, Norway, 1.500 NOK
45. Brian Kjær, Norway, 1.500 NOK
46. Mathias G. D. Kjær, Norway, 1.500 NOK
47. Lars Lindbäck, Sweden, 1.500 NOK
48. Erik Ahlstrand, Sweden, 1.500 NOK
49. Pål Sigurd Romskaug, Norway, 1.500 NOK
50. Jørgen Hillestad, Norway, 1.500 NOK
51. Anton Adolfsson, Sweden, 1.500 NOK
52. Georg Skryten, Norway, 1.500 NOK
53. John Aarre, Norway, 1.000 NOK
54. Miriam Lindgaard Stivang, Norway, 1.000 NOK
55. Emanuel Jonsson, Sweden, 1.000 NOK
56. Håvar Wolden Skog, Norway, 1.000 NOK
57. Arne Egil Olsen, Norway, 1.000 NOK
58. Heidi Thorstensen, Norway, 1.000 NOK
59. Lisa Björklund, Norway, 1.000 NOK
60. Mariann Kleiven, Norway, 1.000 NOK
Top 8 advance to fifth round; pinfall total carries over. Places 9-16
earn 4.000 NOK.
|10.||Arnar David Jonsson||Iceland||198||249||190||637||212.33||637|
Top 8 advance to fourth round. Places 9-16 finish in 17th to 24th place.
|14.||Glenn Morten Pedersen||Norway||169||210||212||591||197.00||591|
Top 8 advance to third round. Places 9-16 finish in 25th to 32nd place.
|2.||Glenn Morten Pedersen||Norway||213||204||279||696||232.00||696|
|9.||Jon Ingi Ragnarsson||Norway||191||220||203||614||204.67||614|
|10.||Thor Morten Bjørge||Norway||179||208||225||612||204.00||612|
|16.||Alida Molander||Sweden||no show|
Top 8 advance to second round. Places 9-16 finish in 33rd to 40th place.
|7.||Glenn Morten Pedersen||Norway||200||209||230||639||213.00||639|
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.